The AIU Difference
Science has yet to discover the precise mechanism by which the individual learns. However, it is acknowledged that the act of learning is endogenous, (from within), rather than exogenous. This fact is the underlying rationale for "Distance Learning" in general, and all of the degree programs offered by the University.
The combination of the underlying principles of student "self instruction", (with guidance), collaborative development of curriculum unique to each student, and flexibility of time and place of study, provides, what we consider to be, the ideal learning environment. It is created with the purpose of satisfying individual needs and providing personal development for each student. Atlantic International University exists as an institution of experiential learning and nontraditional education at a distance. There are no classrooms and attendance is not required.
Our Primary goal at Atlantic International University is to accommodate adult students by meeting their individual needs. For this reason, our degree programs are flexible and have been designed for accelerated completion.
Our programs encourage students to demonstrate competency through independent learning, reading and research in their field of study. AIU offers educational opportunities in the United States to adults from around the world so that they can better themselves using their own potential to manage their personal, global cultural development. This is actualized through the evaluation of their credentials towards a bachelor's, a Master's and/or a Doctorate degree, and this also implies a capability for sustainable results-based performance. The foundational axis of such a philosophy lies upon self-actualized knowledge and information, with no room for obsoleteness, which is embedded into a distance learning system based on ANDRAGOGY and OMNIOLOGY. The ultimate goal of this paradigm is to empower learners and help them take advantage of the enormous array of resources from the world environment in order to eliminate the current continuum of poverty and limitations. To this end, depending on the circumstances, students are able to convert their past into a self-propelled growth module constantly on the move, away from the accredited, traditional systems that foster limitations and caducity.
This will become a crude reality with respect for, and practice of, human and community rights through experiences, investigations, practicum work, and/or examinations, according to an independent student's individual idiosyncrasy at AIU. Everything takes place in a setting that fosters diversity with more than 10 millions full texts and about 47 millions bibliographic references in more than 400 languages; while advisors and consultants with doctorate degrees and specializations in Human Development monitor learning processes; in addition to a worldwide web of colleagues and associations in different academic areas; so that they can reach together the satisfaction and the progress of humanity with peace and harmony.
The purpose of Atlantic International University is as follows:
to provide academic preparation of the highest quality while addressing the needs of adult learners by grounding the academic programs in outcome-based learning and offering programs in an accelerated time frame
- to encourage freedom of inquiry and a free exchange of ideas among learners, faculty, administrators and staff of Atlantic International University
- to combine theory and practice which prepares professionals for leadership responsibilities;
- to provide the support necessary for learners to successfully complete the program of study and to overcome any completion deficiencies
- to maintain our excellent academic reputation
- to adhere to the basic right of education as outlined in the Declaration of Human Rights, by providing an affordable alternative to achieve educational goals for a broad spectrum of people worldwide from different societal and economic backgrounds
- to instill in our students a sense of confidence and self reliance in their ability to access the vast opportunities available through information channels, the world wide web, private, public, nonprofit, and nongovernmental organizations in an ever expanding global community
- to empower learners and help them take advantage of the enormous array of resources from the world environment in order to eliminate the current continuum of poverty and limitations
- to intensify the use of Information Technology to stay at the cutting edge of distance learning universities